To receive services, students must meet the following criteria:
- Students who have earned a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average at the time of the application.
- Students enrolled in the 9th – 11th grade, first semester. (No Seniors Accepted)
- Students who are a first generation college-bound student (neither parent has earned a four-year college degree)
- Students who meet the U.S. Department of Education income guidelines
- Eighth graders may apply during the Spring semester before entering their Freshman year of High School, but must wait until the fall semester to begin the program.
All Upward Bound students must complete a 60 days probation/commitment period. During this time the student must attend all UB activities including tutoring two hours a week and Academic Saturday sessions twice a month. If the student is admitted in the summer, he/she must attend a two weeks commitment/probation period during the summer academy. The only excused absences are school activities. Students will earn stipends during this period, but would not be able to collect them unless they complete the probation/commitment period. After 60 days if the student has maintained good attendance and behavior then they would become a full Upward Bound member. However, if good attendance or behavior is not maintained or the student decides not to participate then all stipends would be forfeited.